ACI Costa Rica is a non-profit organization founded in 1967, whose main goal is to promote programs of intercultural learning and international volunteer service (IVS) for people from all around of the world, facilitating their experience in social and ecological projects, developing global citizens.
ACI wants to contribute to solidarity and friendship between the different societies of our globalized world, to sustainable human development, and personal growth of our participants.
Our organization is an active full member of the International Cultural Youth Exchange (ICYE), a federation of more than 40 intercultural and IVS organizations located in the five continents. ICYE Headquarters are placed in Berlin, Germany. The federation of ICYE has been recognized as International Peace Messenger by the United Nations.
ACI Costa Rica has developed partnerships with other networks and programs such as: The Committee of Coordination of International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), associate to UNESCO, The Alliance of European Organizations (ALLIANCE), Volunteering Matters from United Kingdom (VM), VolontEUROPE, Weltwärs from the German government, and ERASMUS + from the European Union.
The experiences we promote are mainly focused on incoming and outgoing programs, involving long and short-term periods, for groups and individuals. These programs are managed in cooperation with our local Costa Rican networks, partner organizations and communities such as: The Federation of Social Organizations (FOS) and YO ME UNO from the private initiate, and others.
The schools are located in different locations around Costa Rica.
The public schools which the Socio Camps program works with are located in several middle and low-middle class areas of Costa Rica. The children’s ages vary from 5 to 13 years, which go from kindergarten, preschool and the first six grades of elementary school.
The schools’ curriculum and activities usually includes all the basic subjects (Spanish, Science, Social Studies and Mathematics).
Additionally, most schools offer English as a foreign language, Music, Arts, Physical Education, Civics and (Roman Catholic) Religion classes.
English classes are one of the areas where the support given by volunteers is most valued (even if they are not native speakers as these classes would be at a basic level) as well as physical education. Sometimes, if a volunteer has some special knowledge or skills – for example in music, arts or sports – and if the school agrees, he/she can organize additional activities independently.
Possible tasks for the volunteer:
• To assist the teachers in the classroom
• To help create didactic material
• To support in the special activities of the school
• To assist at the school’s library or with other administrative tasks
• To organize additional activities with the approval of those in charge of the kids
• To help children with their homework
Schedule for the volunteer:
Monday to Friday from 7:00 am to 1:00-2:00pm
Food and accomodation are included on the fees of the project . More details will be provided on the infosheet.
3 Schools to Choice:
Escuela Jose Joaquín Salas, San Ramón de Alajuela.
Escuela Morazán (Quebradas Arriba), de Perez Zeledón Escuela San Francisco de Peñas Blancas, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Escuela San Francisco de Peñas Blancas, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Locations and Accommodation:
• San Ramón of Alajuela (urban place, accepted are two volunteers at a time. You will live in a host family close to the school.)
• Morazán / Quebradas Arriba de Perez Zeledón (rural area, up to two volunteers at a time. You will live in a host family in Quebradas)
• San Francisco de Peñas Blancas (near La Fortuna, extremely rural, up to two volunteers at a time. You will live in a host family close to the project.)
The languages of the workcamp are Spanish and English.
Required skills and interests of the volunteer:
• To enjoy working with children
• To be patient and tolerant
• To be sociable
• To have a lot of initiative
• To be respectful towards the rules of the institution
• To have an intermediate to advance Spanish level (WE RECOMMEND AT LEAST
2 WEEKS OF SPANISH CLASSES)
• Depending on the time of the year, other schools might be available and suggested.
• Schools are on holiday at the end of the year from December to February, at Easter time (Easter week at the end of March) and at mid-year holidays for 2 weeks in July. Please do not arrive during these periods.
• If you want to work either in a school or in an ecological project, it´s easy to combine “Escuela Morazán” and “Fudebiol” without changing the host family. Since both projects are in the same community.
Arrival to the Schools:
Minimum stay of 2 weeks.Please arrive to Costa Rica 3 days before you start the project. The third day you will travel to the Project. The Schools receive volunteers all week.
Before applying, please make sure you read our page "Projets en pays du Sud" : https://www.concordia.fr/pays-sud
Price 1 week :Escuela Penas blanca et Escuela Jose Joaquín Salas: $75 ; Escuela Morazán: $87,5 ;
Price for 4 weeks: $300
Apart from the Project Fee per month, there is a Fee charged by ACI:
Weeks Socio Camps
1 to 4 $250
5 to 8 $350
9 to 12 $450
13 + $550
SPANISH CLASSES FEE:
In case you book Spanish lessons, they will take place at the ACI office before the volunteer work starts. We hire experienced teachers who will help our participants to develop the vocabulary, speaking and comprehension skills necessary for a successful experience at the volunteer project(s) of their choice. The prices include the stay with a host family and three meals a day.
Price for 1 week : $ 300
Price for 2 weeks: $ 600
Price for 3 weeks: $ 900
Price for 4 weeks: $ 1200
The total cost of your volunteer program with ACI will be:
The cost of your volunteer project(s) + Spanish Classes (if applicable) + the administrative ACI Fee depending on the total amount of weeks that you would like to participate.
Local transportation, international insurance and airfare will be covered by the volunteer.