SPIROGYRA BUTTERFLY GARDEN
ACI Costa Rica is a non-profit organization founded in 1967, whose main goal is to promote programs of intercultural learning and international volunteer service (IVS) for people from all around of the world, facilitating their experience in social and ecological projects, developing global citizens.
ACI wants to contribute to solidarity and friendship between the different societies of our globalized world, to sustainable human development, and personal growth of our participants.
Our organization is an active full member of the International Cultural Youth Exchange (ICYE), a federation of more than 40 intercultural and IVS organizations located in the five continents. ICYE Headquarters are placed in Berlin, Germany. The federation of ICYE has been recognized as International Peace Messenger by the United Nations.
ACI Costa Rica has developed partnerships with other networks and programs such as: The Committee of Coordination of International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), associate to UNESCO, The Alliance of European Organizations (ALLIANCE), Volunteering Matters from United Kingdom (VM), VolontEUROPE, Weltwärs from the German government, and ERASMUS + from the European Union.
The experiences we promote are mainly focused on incoming and outgoing programs, involving long and short-term periods, for groups and individuals. These programs are managed in cooperation with our local Costa Rican networks, partner organizations and communities such as: The Federation of Social Organizations (FOS) and YO ME UNO from the private initiate, and others.
The Jardin de Mariposas Spirogyra is located just 10min out of the center of San José, the capital of Costa Rica, and in the last bit of forest of the metropolitan area: a little tropical paradise in the city center. It is also a shelter for a big number of little mammals, reptiles, insects, birds, and, of course, butterflies. In the 350m2 farm, visitors can see several of Costa Rica’s most beautiful species of butterflies and observe them in every state of their lives.
Possible tasks for the volunteer:
Depending on the volunteer’s preferences, different tasks can be given, for example:
• Gardening tasks: weed and cut the plants, maintain the compost, clean the benches in the garden, make sure the larves have enough food, maintain the feeding spots for the butterflies, watch out for the safety of the turtles, take care of the waterfall and the orchids, etc.
• Guide’s tasks: Hold the information speeches for tourists and visitors about the environment and the importance of butterflies in our ecosystem; maintain the farm and the feeding spots of butterflies, turtles and colibris in a good state, etc.
• Lab tasks: Keep it clean and organized, collect the plants to feed the larves, clean the drawers with water and chlorine, keep the materials in their respective spots, etc.
Schedule for the volunteer:
From Monday to Friday. From 9:00am until 2:00pm
The volunteers stay in a host family. In San Jose downtown.
Del Centro Comercial El Pueblo, 50mts este y 150mts sur. San José
Arrival to the Project:
Please arrive to Costa Rica 2 days before you start the project. The second day you will start the project. Jardin de Mariposas Spirogyra receives volunteers all the week.
The languages of the workcamp are English and Spanish. Minimum stay of 2 weeks.
• Interest in nature and the environment
• Willing to work with insects
• Bring appropriate clothing (boots, poncho, etc.)
• Respect the rules of the institution
Before applying, please make sure you read our page "Projets en pays du Sud" : https://www.concordia.fr/pays-sud
Project Fee: 1 weeks 75$
4 weeks 300$
Apart from the Project Fee per month, there is a Fee charged by ACI:
Weeks Eco Camps
1 to 4 $150
5 to 8 $250
9 to 12 $350
13 + $450
SPANISH CLASSES FEE:
In case you book Spanish lessons, they will take place at the ACI office before the volunteer work starts. We hire experienced teachers who will help our participants to develop the vocabulary, speaking and comprehension skills necessary for a successful experience at the volunteer project(s) of their choice. The prices include the stay with a host family and three meals a day.
Price for 1 week : $ 300
Price for 2 weeks: $ 600
Price for 3 weeks: $ 900
Price for 4 weeks: $ 1200
The total cost of your volunteer program with ACI will be:
The cost of your volunteer project(s) + Spanish Classes (if applicable) + the administrative ACI Fee depending on the total amount of weeks that you would like to participate.
Local transportation, international insurance and airfare will be covered by the volunteer.
Things you need to Bring to Jardín de Mariposas:
• Mosquito repellent/ after bite cream
• Sun block
• Hat or cap
• Rain coat
• Closed shoes
• Rubber boots just in winter (you can buy them in Costa Rica)
• Work clothes (that you don´t mind getting dirty)
• You can bring suitcase or backpack