First High School for Hearing Impaired (FHSHI)
The Global Initiative for Exchange and Development Inc. (GIED) is a non-profit and non-government organization established last July 07, 2015 in Cebu City, Philippines. The organization aims to promote people empowerment and connectivity through the spirit of volunteerism and building communities for sustainable development.
The First High School for Hearing Impaired (FHSHI) is a high school in Cebu City to serve persons with hearing disabilities since 1982. It is in fact that in so far there are limited colleges, or even government schools that offer relevant educational opportunities to persons with disabilities as hearing impaired, visually impaired those with learning disabilities, the physically handicapped.
The school commits itself in promoting education of the children with special needs through relevant lifelong learning skills in order to give them equal opportunities with other students in regular schools.
The school has been engaging in bringing the classroom back to life of the children with special needs. All teachers engaged in Active Learning Process employing the cooperative learning procedure, all in sign languages. Computers are connected to the web / internet brings the students interest back in the classroom. We have been aiming to win the learners back to school as place of fun, friendly and fostering atmosphere for learners to be functionally literate.
AIMS OF THE PROJECT
• Apply appropriate speech/ language practices that maximize the residual hearing of the students
• Increase the students’ vocabulary and comprehension skills to enhance learning capabilities
• Help promote learning opportunities through cultural exchange programs and activities.
• Compile all the conducted activities especially in the speech/ language sessions and classes.
• Train at least 1 to 2 Special Education Teachers to continue its program implementation in speech/ language
• Organize intercultural activities for the teacher and student.
• Develop/prepare learning materials and visual aids;
• Assist the teachers in daily classes.
• Facilitate sports activities/ events for the students and PWD
• Assist the staff/ trainers/facilitators in volunteer preparation activities
• Assist the staff in the daily office work like development of promotional materials like print, audio and video presentations
• Assist other relevant activities of the organization
Living with host family (expect to have a shared room with your host sister or brother)
Macopa St. Basak. San Nicolas, Cebu City
• Flexible, open-minded and able to adopt the local situation
• Sociable and can easily mingle with Official, staff, volunteers without prejudice, etc.
• Commitment to regular updates/reporting/monitoring through mobile, online communication
• Independent and requires less supervision
• Innovative, industrious, adventurous, creative and fun loving
Extra fee : 400eur