Folklore Museum on Yor Island – Songkhla
MLTV1903-2 Folklore Museum on Yor Island – Songkhla is created at the Institute for Southern Thai Studies, Folklore Museum where it is located among a fantastic view on the hill on Yor Island, Songkhla. The officers of the Institute for Southern Thai Studies work for maintaining the tradition and culture, and also the academic work and the research study are serviced for the society by them. There is a folklore museum that there are over 50000 historical pieces of antiques shown.
Because the Institute for Southern Thai Studies, Folklore Museum on Yor island is a tourist attraction, many Thai and foreigners visit. There are some staffs can communicate to the foreigner, it is a good opportunity for them to try to speak English with the volunteer. Moreover, it is not only learning about language, but it is a great motivation to exchange with international volunteers about culture.
Furthermore, the project hopes that Thai staffs and the volunteer can share and learn the new knowledge and experience about the rescue team.
The volunteer will support the museum, learn Southern Thai culture, receive training to be a guide for tourist visiting and clean the antiques in the museum.
The main activities:
• Translation – There are many visitors who come from many countries. They need to the volunteer to translate English documents and descriptions of the information into their own language.
• Public relation – The volunteer can help them to prepare and make the video, documentary, brochure, and the museum tourist page on the internet, etc.
• English teaching – They need the volunteer to improve them about English communication for the benefit of their work in the future. Also, The volunteer can teach at the primary school and the university around the museum.
• Social work – The volunteer can join the activities for the local community and public work for the local community.
• Maintaining the antiques – The volunteer can help the staffs to clean the antiques in the museum, and learn how to maintain them and how important it is.
• Guide – The volunteer can be a guide for the children and the foreigners who visit in the museum.
Volunteers will stay in the museum accommodation with museum staff.
• Nature environment, basic and simple.
• Mattress, pillow, and fan are provided.
• Thai toilet and bath.
• No food and drinks except water in the sleeping area for your care because some animals such as the mouses, ants, will come to share your food.
• Please keep clean and tidy.
Volunteers expect to eat Thai food. The staff will prepare the food for the volunteer
There are 3 ways to get to Hat Yai City, Songkhla province from Bangkok; plane, bus, and train.
Plane – Hat Yai International Airport, the volunteer can take the plane from Bangkok to Hat Yai International Airport. The plane will take you to Hat Yai approximately 1 hour and a half.
Bus – Hat Yai Bus Terminal, the volunteer can take the bus from Bangkok Bus Terminal (Southern), Bangkok to Hat Yai Bus Terminal. You can book a bus ticket following this link https://tickets.co.th/en/search?from_id=5752&on=2018-10-03&passengers=1&..., or buy the ticket at the counter at the bus terminal. The bus will take you to Hat Yai approximately 14 hours.
Train – Hat Yai Train Station, the volunteer can take the train from Bangkok (Hua Lam Pong Train Station) to Hat Yai Train Station. It will take you to Hat Yai approximately 11 – 14 hours. You can book the ticket following this link https://www.thairailwayticket.com/eTSRT/default.aspx?language=1, or buy the ticket at Hua Lam Pong Train Station, Bangkok.
There are many beautiful tourist attractions in Songkhla province. We would like to recommend the Hat Yai Municipality Park, Samila Beach, and Songkhla Old Town.
Hat Yai Municipality Park – The biggest public park in Hat Yai city where the local people come to take a relax. Moreover, there is a big Buddha on the top of the Ko Hong hill around the area of the public park. You can take the public car at the park to the hill. There you can see the beautiful view of Hat Yai city.
Samila Beach – The main beach of Songkhla province. There is full of history and storytelling about the Samila Beach and the small islands from the beach.
Songkhla Old Town – The original town of Songkhla can tell many stories in that period. You can visit, find some typical food and take the photo with the beautiful walls and buildings
You can find more information at:
The extra fee is 14,000 Baht a volunteer for the 1st month, 12,000 Baht for the 2nd and 3rd months, and 10,000 Bath for after the 3rd month.
VSA Learning Home, Songkhla, Thailand
(Every volunteer needs to participate the orientation week at VSA Learning Home on 1st – 5th of month before they