INTERCULTURAL AND LANGUAGE
Rajaprachanukroh School is the school under Patronage of His Majesty the King for disadvantaged and poor children in the countryside. Nowadays, there are 68 numbers of Rajaprachanukroh School. The boarding school provides all of the factors for the student such as student’s uniform, accommodation, food, and include the tuition fee till they graduate in high school. The program of education is the same as general school. The students live in the school as a family. They take care and help each other. The oldest student is 18 years old as an oldest brother and sister. They always take care and suggest the younger one. There are many teachers who take care whole student in the school.
Because the school is for the disadvantaged students who have some problems in their life, the school can only accept them following these problems.
1. The child labor, the children who are threatened for working before they are ready
2. The homeless child, the children who don’t have the permanent accommodation, and the basic factor in daily life. It can make them risk for the social problem
3. The children who have a risk for engaging in sexual intercourse for money
4. Orphan, the children who got the family problem. They are left by family
5. Sexual harassment, the children who got threatening for sexual harassment and mentality by family or society
6. Poor children, the children who are very poor, the family doesn’t have the basic factor for the daily life. They cannot support their children to study.
7. Ethnic group, the children who have the different culture with the majority in the country,
They have nationality problem.
8. The children who got risk about the drugs
9. The children who got the effect of AIDS and some kind of disease that the people in society cannot accept them to live together
10. The children who are controlled by Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection
A Rajapachanukroh School is located in Satul province, where it is a beautiful tourist city in the south of Thailand, is Rajapachanukroh 42 School. The school open from the primary 1 – secondary school. The age of student between 7 – 18 years old. Nowadays, there are 919 students with 23 classrooms. The students study 23 classes per week, 1 class per 50 minutes. Moreover, the students can learn the classroom from the external classroom. They will learn how to grow the vegetable by the real practice. They grow the vegetable for learning for adapting in the future.
In 2018, the project was created. It means this year is the first year, so we need the volunteer, who is the most important part, to start the activity together with us. The volunteer can give the opportunity to children in school, make them get inspiration to speak English and learn your own language. The volunteers can share more about the different culture. Facing the new thing is a challenging of the life. Learning new culture makes you improve yourself, and sharing your knowledge and culture make them open their window to understand how differences we are.
Volunteers are expected to work as an English teacher in primary and high school. You can prepare the easy English lesson and useful conversation. Open mind and share a new experience with the students. Use your own experience for teaching and enjoying the game. Moreover, the volunteer can join and learn agriculture activity in the school.
Volunteers will stay in the school accommodation and have the meal at the school.
HOW TO GET AT LEARNING HOME
Hat Yai is the transportation hub of southern Thailand, so it is very easy to go to Hat Yai city. There are 3 ways to get to Hat Yai city.
By Train: The State Railway of Thailand provides daily rapid and express train services from Bangkok to Hat Yai. There are six trains departing each day from Bangkok's Hua Lumphong Railway Station that service Hat Yai. Travel time is about 17 hours. For further information visit www.railway.co.th The only way to get there is by taxi. It’s cost 500 Baht. You can book the taxi by inform VSA officer. It can make sure they know the place, but you also take a taxi by yourself. It’s safe but please let them call to VSA staff to tell them the direction and to confirm your arrival time (Tum Tel. 089 878 9355)
By Bus: From Bangkok, there are daily buses from Bangkok to Songkhla and Hat Yai. The journey takes about 13 hours. For the current schedule and further information contact the Southern Bus Terminal visit www.transport.co.th.
The only way to get there is by taxi. It’s cost 500 Baht. You can book the taxi by inform VSA office to book the taxi for you to make sure they know the place but you also take a taxi by yourself. It’s safe but please let them call to VSA staff to tell them the direction and to confirm your arrival time (Tum tel. 089 878 9355)
By Air: Several domestic and international air carriers have daily flights connecting Bangkok and other Thai and Asian cities to Hat Yai.
The only way to get there is by taxi. It’s cost 500 Baht. You can book the taxi by inform VSA office to book the taxi for you to make sure they know the place but you also take a taxi by yourself. It’s safe but please let them call to VSA staff to tell them the direction and to confirm your arrival time (Tum Tel.089 878 9355)
Volunteers should love to play with kids. Please bring some teaching materials such as a book, kids’ education game, stationary, etc. from your country. It will be a good way for cultural exchange and make students have more motivation. No smoking and alcohol drinking in the project.
What to bring
- Teaching clothes, every shirt needs to cover the shoulders, trousers for man and skirt for the woman, the skirt should cover your knees. Important! No camisole, tank top or shorts, you are a volunteer who respects the culture, not a real traveler.
- Brogue shoe or canvas shoes
- Medicine as you think necessary
- Mosquito repellant
- Cap or hat as Thai weather is hot.
- Your traditional music and costumes (CDs, ideas for games/ activities).
- Materials or sources (brochures, maps, souvenirs, pictures, flags, or handicrafts to introduce your country and culture).
- Toilet paper (you can buy at the local shop in the village)
- Sunglasses and sun-block cream
Please note this project is available from June till September and from November till February.
EXTRA FEE XTRA FEE
14,000 Baht for 1st month (including project preparation and orientation week)
12,000 Baht for 2nd, 3rd months 10,000 Bath for afor a for after 4th month
1st – 5th of the month, every volunteer need to participate in orientation meeting before going to start their project.
Arrival day: On the 1st of the month at Learning Home, Ban Ton San, Khlonghoikhong District, Songkhla, Thailand for a participate orientation meeting.